This is AdBlock's old support site. It is available for archival purposes only. To create a new discussion, or to visit the up-to-date knowledge base, please visit help.getadblock.com

Adblock interferes with yahoo mail and groups functionality

konetidy

07 Mar, 2014 04:26 PM

Yahoo made a switch in their email system recently. Whereas adblock did not interfere with the functionality of the webmail and yahoo groups features before, now it does! On the webmail end, the buttons allowing you to delete, move, folk at other folders than your inbox either do not work at all or severely delay the response. Within yahoo groups it is now impossible to post messages.
Once adblock is paused functionality of the interface is restored, but you have to deal with the ads now…and some ads tend to freeze the browser.
I am mostly using Safari, sometimes firefox , in both browsers the same issue.

1. 1 Posted by konetidy on 28 Mar, 2014 10:36 AM

Yahoo Groups on Safari 7.0.2 --- conversation lists do not load, individual messages do not load -- while AdBlock is active. The page shows a "Loading..." message and does not load. Two workarounds -- "do not run [AdBlock] on this page": page loads fast without problems. Or, click a conversation or topic link, waiting for the "Loading..." message, then press "Refresh". Would prefer not having to do the latter.

2. 2 Posted by Kieran on 23 Apr, 2014 07:19 PM

Hi!

Sorry for the long wait for a response - your discussion fell to the bottom of our list.

Do you still have this problem?

3. 3 Posted by konetidy on 24 Apr, 2014 12:00 AM

Thank you for your reply.  The answer is Yes and No!  Another change by yahoo to their mail interface since then took care of the problem with yahoo mail.  The interference with posting material to yahoo groups still persists.

My workaround is to temporarily disable adblocker.  

Walter Lang

Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:19 PM
    Subject: Re: Adblock interferes with yahoo mail and groups functionality [Problems #2092]

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: Adblock interferes with yahoo mail and groups functionality.
    Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

4. 4 Posted by Jérémy on 01 Aug, 2014 12:45 PM

Hello Walter,

Again, we're so sorry for the late reply. Can you please give some URL's where you see this ads?

Kind Regards,
    Jérémy K

5. 5 Posted by konetidy on 01 Aug, 2014 03:17 PM

It’s not ads. The problem is that AdBlock is not compatible with any page at yahoo.com, and so it is impossible to use AdBlock when using any part of yahoo.com. So, I just turn off AdBlock.

6. 6 Posted by Kieran on 16 Aug, 2014 04:47 PM

I have Yahoo mail supplied by my ISP. It seems to work fine with the latest version of AdBlock for me.

Can you go to AdBlock button -> Options -> SUPPORT and provide us the debug info from the link there?

7. 7 Posted by James on 20 Sep, 2014 12:06 PM

It's 'Yahoo Groups' that doesn't work.
    Yahoo Groups hasn't worked with Adblocker in Safari for many, many months.
    Every time I want to use Groups I switch to Firefox.

8. 8 Posted by Karen on 06 Dec, 2014 05:57 PM

Count me in as another person who has to disable Adblock for Yahoo pages under Safari (Mavericks). Many options for moderating Groups do not work unless Adblock is disabled. Same goes for reading the mail on Yahoo Groups.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Neelfyn on 08 Jan, 2015 09:51 PM

Hi all,

Apologies for the super late reply! We're mostly volunteers or part-timers here at AdBlock support, and many of us were unavailable during the holiday season.

In the meantime, our developers have squashed a bunch of bugs and released a couple of updates. Please make sure that AdBlock is up-to-date (the current stable version is 2.15, and beta is 2.16), and that you've installed all the latest updates for your browser.

If you are still experiencing this issue after updating everything, please reply to this discussion and we'll get back to you as quickly as possible!

10. 10 Posted by Karen on 09 Jan, 2015 02:00 AM

Still not working for reject-with-reply when moderating Yahoo Groups. When I click on the chevrons to change the addresses sent to and from, nothing happens until I disable AdBlock.

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Neelfyn on 12 Jan, 2015 01:13 PM

Hi Karen,

Can you please:

1. Go to AdBlock button -> Options -> SUPPORT -> "Have our team requested some debug info?" and paste it into this discussion.
    2. Go to the FILTER LISTS tab. Does clicking "update now" fix the problem?
    3. Uncheck all filter lists on the same page and reload the page with the problem. Does the problem disappear?
      • If unchecking all filter lists fixes the problem, which one filter list must you check to cause the problem again after another reload? (make sure to wait for it to fetch the filter first)
  12. 12 Posted by Karen on 12 Jan, 2015 04:47 PM

==== Filter Lists ====
    adblock_custom
    easylist

==== Custom Filters ====

@@||secure.wsscwater.com/$document @@|https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/annapolis_freecycle/conversatio... @@|https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/annapolis_freecycle/management/... @@||groups.yahoo.com/$document

==== Settings ====
    debug_logging: false
    youtube_channel_whitelist: false
    show_google_search_text_ads: false
    whitelist_hulu_ads: false
    show_context_menu_items: true
    show_advanced_options: false
    display_stats: true
    display_menu_stats: true
    show_block_counts_help_link: true
    dropbox_sync: false
    show_survey: true

==== Other info: ====
    AdBlock version number: 2.16.2 Stable
    Total pings: 73
    UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh Intel Mac OS X 10_10_1) AppleWebKit/600.2.5 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0.2 Safari/600.2.5

I was not able to click on the Conversations link from the Pending Approvals page after updating. I was able to do so after unchecking the filters. That continued to work after checking EasyList, and again after checking AdBlock Custom Filters. I don't have a message to moderate right now, but will test that once I do. Thank you.

13. 13 Posted by Karen on 12 Jan, 2015 05:45 PM

I can't use all of the options for editing moderated posts if the EasyList filters are checked.

14. 14 Posted by Kieran on 12 Jan, 2015 08:25 PM

Thanks! It looks like it's an issue with the EasyList filter list, which tells us which English ads to block.

Please report this to them at http://forums.lanik.us

If you can, please send us a link to the forum post once a moderator has approved it, so that we can keep an eye on the issue.

15. 15 Posted by Karen Reznek on 15 Jan, 2015 04:50 PM

I never received a notice that it was posted, but I just checked, and it
    is at http://forums.lanik.us/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=20447

No responses yet.

16. 16 Posted by Melissa Jones on 28 Feb, 2015 05:20 AM

Yesterday (2/26/15) my Yahoo Mail opened but the only thing that's working is that I can see new incoming mail arriving. I cannot read old nor new emails, see contacts, compose, nor take any action whatsoever. I use a Dell Latitude 3440, Windows 7, and only Internet Explorer 11, also Google Plus (not Chrome), all of which are set for automatic updates.

If I DISABLE Adblock (via Tools, Manage add-ons), then Restart my laptop, Yahoo returns to full functionality. I really need Adblock for use with YouTube, Putlocker, etc., but don't know why the new problem with Adblock that makes me have to constantly Enable/Disable it.

Note: I am dyscalculic and thus find computerese and sequential tasks extraordinarily difficult; in other words -- and, obviously, I'm not dyslexic -- numericals, lineals, and complex instructions are nigh onto impossible for me to follow..

17. 17 Posted by Susan on 07 Mar, 2015 02:29 AM

Yahoo mail does not function properly with AdBlock active. When I call AppleCare, they had me uninstall AdBlock. Then all was fine. I then re-installed AdBlock. Now I have the same problem in Yahoo Mail. For now, I have disable AdBlock for that page. However, I would like to know when and if you plan to fix this problem. The symptoms have been reported earlier in this discussion - cannot pull down menus, sluggish, etc.

18. 18 Posted by jim on 07 Mar, 2015 02:45 AM

I'm having similar problems. I called ATT & they didn't know anything, just apologized for the issues. When I turn off Adblock, it seems like issues go away. I just upgraded to new version of adblock, 2.18, but that didn't seem to help. Still having issue.

19. 19 Posted by JC on 09 Mar, 2015 05:46 PM

Yes...I am also having the same issue with v2.18 of AdBlock on my Mac running Yosemite using Yahoo email in Safari. It started occurring about 2 weeks ago. Turning off AdBlock speeds things up back to normal.

20. Support Staff 20 Posted by Neelfyn on 11 Mar, 2015 08:02 PM

Hi,

We've just released an update (AdBlock 2.19) which should fix this issue. Please make sure that you have the latest version installed and let us know if it makes any difference for you!

21. 21 Posted by Dok Dokuzoguz on 11 Mar, 2015 08:14 PM

I have 2.19 installed.  Enabled AdBlock on Yahoo!Mail.  So far everything is working fine!  Thanks. ===

To: [email blocked]
     Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 1:02 PM
     Subject: Re: Adblock interferes with yahoo mail and groups functionality [Problems #2092]

#yiv0710296497 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv0710296497 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}

22. 22 Posted by JC on 11 Mar, 2015 08:17 PM

AdBlock team:
    Yahoo! web email is now working perfectly for me again!
    Thanks for the super quick update!

23. 23 Posted by Melissa Jones on 12 Mar, 2015 12:42 AM

Is Adblock ver. 2.19 appropriate for my Windows 7 with IE 11? I can't figure out where to get an Adblock update that resolves my Yahoo Mail problems. Help!

24. Support Staff 24 Posted by Neelfyn on 12 Mar, 2015 10:42 PM

Dok & JC: awesome, glad to read the issue is solved! Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any more questions or suggestions!

Malissa: AdBlock is not available on Internet Explorer, so if you are using a program named "Adblock" (or a similar name) on that browser, it isn't made by us. The issue in this thread was affecting AdBlock on the Safari browser specifically. Hope you manage to find the culprit on your end, though!

25. Neelfyn closed this discussion on 12 Mar, 2015 10:42 PM.

26. John Cordell re-opened this discussion on 13 Mar, 2015 02:14 AM

27. 25 Posted by John Cordell on 13 Mar, 2015 02:14 AM

Will do! Thx again.
    John

28. Neelfyn closed this discussion on 13 Mar, 2015 04:21 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with AdBlock please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac