This is AdBlock's old support site. It is available for archival purposes only. To create a new discussion, or to visit the up-to-date knowledge base, please visit help.getadblock.com

Mozilla + Windows 10 + Adblock Not Working

acelespy

29 Nov, 2015 11:45 AM

Hello :)
As you can figure from the title, I have Mozilla Firefox and Windows 10. As of this month (November), Adblock doesn't block Youtube video ads anymore. Unfortunately, I've already tried reinstalling Adblock and that didn't work.
If I don't press play on the youtube video I want to watch, the ad will automatically go away after about 10 seconds. But if I do press play, the ads are unskippable and vary in their length.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Rhana on 29 Nov, 2015 07:53 PM

Hi acelespy,

This may be something new that Google is trying out in some markets. Can you please try installing Chrome and see if the same thing happens? That will help us determine whether it's a YouTube issue in general, or something specific to Firefox.

Rhana
    AdBlock Community Manager

2. 2 Posted by acelespy on 30 Nov, 2015 11:06 AM

Thanks for getting back to me, Rhana :]
    Adblock works just fine on Chrome. :[

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Rhana on 30 Nov, 2015 05:10 PM

Hi acelespy,

You're welcome! It looks as if this is specific to Firefox. Another user reported a similar issue a couple of months ago. He found that reinstalling AdBlock in Firefox fixed the problem. Would you mind trying that and let us know if it helps?

Rhana

4. 4 Posted by acelespy on 30 Nov, 2015 08:37 PM

Hey again,
    Yeah I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it and that didn't fix the problem unfortunately. One thing I did note, was that my roommate also has adblock, windows 19, and uses firefox but isn't experiencing the same issue.

5. 5 Posted by acelespy on 30 Nov, 2015 08:49 PM

windows 10* haha oops

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Rhana on 02 Dec, 2015 11:29 AM

Hi acelespy,

Yes, I was wondering if I missed some huge announcement from Microsoft. :)

OK, let's get some troubleshooting information. Can you please:

1. Click the AdBlock button and select Options, then click SUPPORT. Next to "Have our team requested some debug info?" click here. Paste the text from the box into this discussion.
    2. Click the FILTER LISTS tab and then click update now. Does that change anything?
    3. If the problem persists, uncheck all the lists on the filter lists page and reload the page where you’re seeing the problem. Does that change anything?
    4. If unchecking all the filter lists fixes the problem, re-enable the lists one by one, reloading the page where you’re seeing the problem after each. (Make sure to wait for AdBlock to fetch the list before reloading the page.) Which list causes the problem to happen again?
    5. If unchecking all the filter lists did not fix the problem, try the same thing with your browser extensions: Disable all of them, then re-enable the extensions one by one, reloading the problem page after each. Which extension causes the problem to happen again?

Rhana

7. 7 Posted by acelespy on 02 Dec, 2015 12:07 PM

1) Don't have Options > Support. All I have under options is "Show Tabs on Flash and Java" and then "counter filter hits" . Only have "Report issue on this Page" as any sort of support option.
    2/3/4) Done, no change.
    5) Also done, no change. :(

I really appreciate all the help, sorry this seems to be such a boggling problem!

I think I have an idea, going to try it. Report back soon! :)

8. 8 Posted by acelespy on 02 Dec, 2015 12:19 PM

Ok, wow! I think I solved the problem. I noticed that all of the adds weren't in English.

I've always used the "English" version of Adblock without any problems until this month for some reason, but I noticed there's also an Adblock version for where I live. So I just installed that version (text is still in English, so, phew!) and now the adds don't appear. Very strange, I guess its mozilla type/IP based, but I guess whatever works!

Thanks again so much for your help. Hopefully, if anyone else has similar problems, they'll come across this page. :)

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Rhana on 02 Dec, 2015 06:46 PM

Hi acelespy,

I'm glad you were able to solve this. Nice detective work! But you weren't using AdBlock. :) I can't tell from your description which ad blocker you're using. But the important thing is that you got it working, whatever it is!

Rhana

10. 10 Posted by acelespy on 02 Dec, 2015 08:19 PM

Thanks! And yeah :) it was Adblock Plus not direct Adblock.

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Rhana on 10 Dec, 2015 08:44 PM

Hi acelespy,

Ah-ha! ABP and AdBlock are actually unrelated products developed by different companies. But no worries, we get that a lot. :)

Anyway, glad all is well!

Rhana

12. Rhana closed this discussion on 10 Dec, 2015 08:44 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with AdBlock please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac