This is AdBlock's old support site. It is available for archival purposes only. To create a new discussion, or to visit the up-to-date knowledge base, please visit help.getadblock.com

Crashes

Robert Conn

14 Dec, 2015 03:53 PM

I have used AdBlock successfully for a long time but recently when I try to open safe links that I have been able to open in the past my screen goes blank, a notice from AdBlock appears on the right lower corner that says AdBlock has crashed. This went on for some time. Each time I had to go to extensions (I use Chrome as my browser) disable AdBlock and can open the link. Yesterday I deleted AdBlock and reinstalled it. Donated an additional $10. It worked fin the rest of the day. This morning when I tried to open the link I was interested in (one I do virtually everyday) I could not and once again I received the crashed notice and could not open the link.

1. 1 Posted by Robert Conn on 16 Dec, 2015 04:50 PM

The links in this reply cannot be accessed because “THE DAMMED AdBLOCK CRASHES”. Amazing, links from the actual publisher of the extension AdBlock cannot be opened because of the failure of AdBlock. My question, is there a fix?

Robert Conn

Sent: Monday, December 14, 2015 9:56 AM
    To: [email blocked]
    Subject: AdBlock | Your support request (in problems)

Hello Robert Conn!

Thanks for creating the discussion at AdBlock called Crashes <http://support.getadblock.com/discussions/problems/92885-crashes> .

We do not currently offer live chat support, but our support team is here to help seven days a week, and we make every effort to reply as quickly as possible.

While you are waiting, you might review these resources for helpful information:

* How can I translate AdBlock into my language? <http://support.getadblock.com/kb/about-the-project/how-can-i-translate-adblock-into-my-language>
    * AdBlock is constantly being uninstalled from Chrome! <http://support.getadblock.com/kb/recently-reported/adblock-is-constantly-being-uninstalled-from-chrome>
    * I keep seeing your Acceptable Ads announcement or I turned off Acceptable Ads and they keep coming back! <http://support.getadblock.com/kb/recently-reported/i-keep-seeing-your-acceptable-ads-announcement-or-i-turned-off-acceptable-ads-and-they-keep-coming-back>

We'll send an email to you at [email blocked] when we update your support request. Make sure to reply using that same email address.

Alternatively, you can keep track of this conversation online <http://support.getadblock.com/discussions/problems/92885-crashes> .

Even though this is an automated email, you can reply to it if you missed something off of your original discussion text. Do so at the top of the email, not the bottom.

The AdBlock Support Team

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Rhana on 16 Dec, 2015 11:20 PM

Hi Robert,

This can happen with any extension, not just AdBlock. That said, let's see if we can figure out why it's happening. Let's start with some basic troubleshooting information.

Please click the AdBlock button and select Options, then click SUPPORT. Next to "Have our team requested some debug info?" click here and paste the text from the box into this discussion.

Rhana
    AdBlock Community Manager

3. 3 Posted by Robert Conn on 19 Dec, 2015 04:58 PM

==== Filter Lists ====

adblock_custom

last updated: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 14:08:45 GMT

easylist

last updated: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 05:25:39 GMT

malware

last updated: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 06:04:09 GMT

acceptable_ads

last updated: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 06:04:10 GMT

==== Settings ====

debug_logging: false

youtube_channel_whitelist: false

whitelist_hulu_ads: false

show_context_menu_items: true

show_advanced_options: false

display_stats: true

display_menu_stats: true

show_block_counts_help_link: true

dropbox_sync: false

show_survey: true

malware-notification: undefined

==== Other info: ====

AdBlock version number: 2.45 Stable

Total pings: 7

UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1 WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/47.0.2526.106 Safari/537.36

==== Extension and App Information ====

Number 1

name: AdBlock

id: gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom

version: 2.45

enabled: true

type: extension

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Rhana on 23 Dec, 2015 04:40 PM

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the information. It looks as if this may be a bug in Chrome. According to this Google Product Forum post, there is a workaround while Google works on a permanent fix.

Workaround:
    1. Right-click the Chrome icon on the Taskbar.
    2. Right-click Google Chrome.
    3. Click Properties.
    4. In Target, type "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --disable-appcontainer
    5. Click Apply.

Please let us know whether this helps, so that we can inform other people who run into the same trouble. Thanks!

Rhana

5. 5 Posted by Robert Conn on 23 Dec, 2015 07:57 PM

Rhanda I followed your instructions but was unsuccessful. I have attached a screen print copy of the reply I received when I attempted the suggested solution.

Thank you for your continued effort to resolve my issue.

Robert Conn

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Rhana on 23 Dec, 2015 10:39 PM

Hi Robert,

Did you include the quotation marks in the text you typed in the Target box? Without them, Windows will not "read" the space between "Program Files," and will think it should look for a directory named "C:\Program" instead of "C:\Program Files."

Rhana

7. 7 Posted by Robert Conn on 27 Dec, 2015 03:19 PM

Chrome properties accepted the correction but did not solve my “AdBlock crashes” issue.

Robert Conn

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Rhana on 28 Dec, 2015 03:18 AM

Hi Robert,

OK, thank you for trying again. You mentioned this is happening with sites you used to be able to visit without issue. Can you please give us links to a few of them where this is happening?

Rhana

9. 9 Posted by Robert Conn on 28 Dec, 2015 05:09 AM

The following is probably the most common and certainly one of the more aggravating. This particular link is to a “newsletter” that reports items of interest to and for former classmates at the high school I attended. A new one is sent, with few exceptions, daily. I have been receiving and reading this newsletter for probably 5-6 years. I have used AdBlock for probably 2 years but only recently does it “crash”. It crashes on other links but this is one as I said I access on a daily basis.

http://mexiablackcats1959.blogspot.com/

thanks,

Robert Conn

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Rhana on 30 Dec, 2015 08:18 PM

Hi Robert,

I'm not getting any crashes when I visit that site in Chrome. That means the issue isn't with AdBlock generally (not a bug, that is). If you don't mind, I'd like you to do some basic Chrome troubleshooting. Perform each step in order, restarting Chrome after each. Only move to the next step if the problem is still happening.

1. Uninstall and reinstall AdBlock.
    2. Clear your browser cache.
    3. Recreate your Chrome profile.
    4. Reset Chrome's settings.
    5. Remove software that affects Chrome.

Please let me know if which step, if any, helps!

Rhana

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with AdBlock please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac