This is AdBlock's old support site. It is available for archival purposes only. To create a new discussion, or to visit the up-to-date knowledge base, please visit help.getadblock.com

Video's sometimes wont play

Britt

01 Jan, 2016 01:00 PM

English only!

Please answer the following questions so that we can process your bug report, otherwise, we may have to ignore it.
Also, please put your name, or a screen name, and your email above so that we can contact you if needed.
If you don't want your report to be made public, check that box, too.

Can you provide detailed steps on how to reproduce the problem?

1. If I leave adblock on sometimes video's, (on various websites) will only play sounds and the screen remains black.
  2. So turning it off fixes the problem after a refresh. (Normal refreshes with adblock still on don't work.)
  3. (Only on some, not all videos!)

What should happen when you do the above steps
It should play the video just fine.

What actually happened?
It didnt.

Do you have any other comments? If you can, can you please attach a screenshot of the bug?

--- The questions below are optional but VERY helpful. ---

If unchecking all filter lists fixes the problem, which one filterlist must you check to cause the problem again after another restart?

Technical Chrome users: Go to chrome://extensions ->Developer Mode -> Inspect views: background page -> Console. Paste the contents here:

====== Do not touch below this line ======

==== Filter Lists ====  
warning_removal  
  last updated: Fri, 01 Jan 2016 11:59:35 GMT  

==== Custom Filters ====  

imgur.com##IFRAME[id="google_ads_iframe_/4761660/abp_300x250_0"][name="google_ads_iframe_/4761660/abp_300x250_0"]
imgur.com##IFRAME[id="google_ads_iframe_/4761660/abp_300x250_0"][name="google_ads_iframe_/4761660/abp_300x250_0"]
www.dumpert.nl##IFRAME
www.youtube.com##VIDEO[class="video-stream html5-main-video"]  

==== Settings ====  
debug_logging: false
youtube_channel_whitelist: false
whitelist_hulu_ads: false
show_context_menu_items: true
show_advanced_options: true
display_stats: true
display_menu_stats: true
show_block_counts_help_link: true
dropbox_sync: false
show_survey: true
ble_ads: false
malware-notification: false

==== Other info: ====  
AdBlock version number: 2.45 Stable  
Total pings: 12  
UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0 WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/47.0.2526.106 Safari/537.36
  1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Rhana on 01 Jan, 2016 03:35 PM

Hi Britt,

Before we begin troubleshooting this, I noticed, from the debugging information that accompanied your report, that you're not subscribed to any filter lists that block ads. All you are using is the list that prevents websites from asking you to disable AdBlock. May I ask why?

Rhana
    AdBlock Community Manager

2. 2 Posted by Britt Seuren on 01 Jan, 2016 04:38 PM

Hello! :)
    I just disabled all my filters prior to sending the bug report, to see if one of them was causing the problem. That was not the case.
    I had all the recommended list on prior to this, and also a Dutch filter. I also noticed that when I had all adds blocked, (even the acceptable ones, adds would still play on youtube videos)
    Britt

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Rhana on 02 Jan, 2016 06:11 PM

Hi Britt,

Ah, OK, thanks! That's an excellent troubleshooting step, by the way. :)

A bug in a recent Chrome update is the primary reason ads are appearing in YouTube videos. The workaround is to disable the YouTube app in Chrome:

1. Type chrome://apps in the address bar or click the Apps icon in the Bookmarks Bar.
    2. Right-click the app and select Remove from Chrome.

If you're on a Chromebook, please see the instructions in this Google Chromebook Help article for how to remove an app.

Please see this Knowledge Base article for details and updates.

Please let me know if you don't have the YouTube app!

Rhana

4. 4 Posted by Britt Seuren on 02 Jan, 2016 06:30 PM

I do not have the youtube app, sadly. So nothing to disable there.
    The main problem isn't the adds playing, its the fact that my screen remains black. I reinstalled my adblock and it seems to be working now though.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Rhana on 04 Jan, 2016 05:16 PM

Hi Britt,

Terrific, glad all is well! Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's any way we can assist in the future.

Rhana

6. Rhana closed this discussion on 04 Jan, 2016 05:16 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with AdBlock please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac