This is AdBlock's old support site. It is available for archival purposes only. To create a new discussion, or to visit the up-to-date knowledge base, please visit help.getadblock.com

Huffington Post

Louise Crestmoor

12 Jan, 2016 06:24 PM

I've been getting these annoying Green pop-up ads periodically thru the day as I read. I can't find any info online about it. How are they getting past adblock and adblock plus? Help!!!

1. 1 Posted by Madeline Eastma... on 13 Jan, 2016 12:11 AM

Hi,

It’s not live chat.
    It is a big green AD to join their mailing list. It literally covers 50% of the page and stops you from reading an article till you check NO or join a list. It pops up 3 or 4 times in a 15 minute period.

I was asking why AdBlock doesn’t catch it?

Thanks

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Rhana on 13 Jan, 2016 11:06 PM

Hi Louise,

Can you please:

1. Click the AdBlock button and select Options, then click SUPPORT. Next to "Have our team requested some debug info?" click here and paste the text from the box into this discussion.
    2. Attach a screenshot with the ad(s) clearly marked. Please be sure to capture the entire browser window.

Rhana
    AdBlock Community Manager

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Rhana on 14 Jan, 2016 01:43 AM

Hi Louise and Madeline,

We and other ad blockers use filter lists to determine what to block. Most filter lists don't consider self-promotion ("sign up for our newsletter," for instance) as ads that should be blocked. They're blocking third-party ads, the ones that advertise other sites.

That said, you can try subscribing to the Fanboy's Annoyances filter list in AdBlock's options. That list may help to avoid, or at least reduce, the pop-ups you're seeing on HuffingtonPost.com.

Rhana
    AdBlock Community Manager

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with AdBlock please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac