This is AdBlock's old support site. It is available for archival purposes only. To create a new discussion, or to visit the up-to-date knowledge base, please visit help.getadblock.com

Adblock causing VPN to completely lockup iPhone internet connection

Mark

15 Jan, 2016 01:50 PM

Hi. Strange thing - my son installed Adblock on his (new to him) iPhone 5s. worked fine for a while, then he complained of internet slugishness, then complete inability to access anything on the internet. Anything at all, via wifi or cellular, including being able to access the Apple sites for authentication. We played with it, reset all network settings, finally reset the phone completely, updated everything, and restored from backup. Finally I noticed, going through settings, that the VPN switch was flicking on and off with a mind of its own. I deleted Adblock, phone returned completely to normal. Don't know if I'm the only one or not, but that seemed like a bug you'd want to know about.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Rhana on 16 Jan, 2016 02:47 AM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your report! It's odd. AdBlock has absolutely nothing to do with the VPN settings on iOS 9 devices. Yet we have a lot of people telling us they're somehow being asked to set up a VPN when they try to install AdBlock.

Can you please tell us exactly what version of iOS 9 and AdBlock your son has and which device?

Rhana
    AdBlock Community Manager

2. 2 Posted by Mark Gabriele on 21 Jan, 2016 12:33 PM

Hi. The iPhone 5 is running the most current version of iOS, but I think that I may have found your problem: the also had a second app installed, called Been Choice (link from the App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/been-choice-block-ads-earn/id968929... )

This app offers the choice to block ads or replace them with ads served by the app, earning the user rewards. It employs some type of VPN to do so, and that is what appears to have bolixed things up completely- perhaps an interaction with AdBlock?

Best,
    =Mark

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Rhana on 21 Jan, 2016 08:02 PM

Hi Mark,

Ah, that helps! According to Been's listing on iTunes (thank you for the link!), version 2 seems to fix the VPN issues that some people have been running into. Do you happen to know what version of Been your son has?

Rhana
    AdBlock Community Manager

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with AdBlock please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac