This is AdBlock's old support site. It is available for archival purposes only. To create a new discussion, or to visit the up-to-date knowledge base, please visit help.getadblock.com

ADBlock working?

Wilson Brandt

17 Sep, 2014 07:09 AM

Greeting,
So, I'm a very generous person. I started having trouble with pop ups on both me macbook air and desktop around the same time. A tech guy I know said he used adblock. I decided to give it a run before donating money. Literally, the first button I clicked after installing it and restarting computer opened a pop up window. But another of my huge issues (both computers) , are those annoying pop up that appear in page, either a pricing comparison deal or whatever. sometimes so annoying sat "you won!) over and over, that it's hard to watch these instructional videos on youtube which I've been doing a lot of lately. It is decent at getting those 'in window" ads to go away, but usually a new one pops up right after. I think I may have some serious malware. Doesn't seem to affect anything but browsers. Any advice would be great, like I said, I'm generous and felt bad not donating right away but in hindsight, it really hasn't done much for me. I have contacted apple trying to get this fixed with no real help offered, However, if you can help me solve this problem, I'm sure I'll have multiple signed copies of Han Solo and whatever else it was you gave to your bigger donators? so let me know. thanks

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Neelfyn on 17 Sep, 2014 07:04 PM

Hi Wilson,

Sounds like the ads you're seeing are caused by malware on your computer. AdBlock can only block ads that were on webpages in the first place.

Try following the instructions on The Safe Mac's Adware Removal Guide, running an antivirus/antimalware scan, and removing any browser extensions you don't remember installing!

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with AdBlock please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac