This is AdBlock's old support site. It is available for archival purposes only. To create a new discussion, or to visit the up-to-date knowledge base, please visit help.getadblock.com

Repeated automatic download of "AdBlock.safariextz"

mprudow

25 Mar, 2015 05:48 AM

I recently added the Adblock extension to Safari 8.04. Whenever I open Safari I get an automatic download of a file, "AdBlock.safariextz" Is this a legitimate file? Is this the way adblock updates itself?
Thanks

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Neelfyn on 28 Mar, 2015 09:03 PM

Hi mprudow,

AdBlock's updates should be automatic and transparent, no files should be downloaded like that. Do you happen to use Safari's feature to restore all windows/tabs from your previous session?

If it is the case, can you please check if a window or tab isn't staying open with a page to download AdBlock, which would explain why it gets downloaded every time you open Safari?

2. 2 Posted by mprudow on 29 Mar, 2015 02:34 PM

Hi Neelfyn,
    Yes, my default setting for Safari is to restore all open tabs from previous session. I’ll keep an eye out to see if one of the pages drops out. So far, no downloads in the past few days. I have another question though. Is the file downloaded in any way malicious or is it a genuine Adblock file? When I received the first one, I did click on it. I’m a bit nervous because this is the computer I do all of my personal finance from
    Mark

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Neelfyn on 31 Mar, 2015 07:44 AM

Hi Mark,

Yes, the file attached in your original message is genuine, it is the 2.19 version of AdBlock.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with AdBlock please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac