This is AdBlock's old support site. It is available for archival purposes only. To create a new discussion, or to visit the up-to-date knowledge base, please visit help.getadblock.com

Filter to disable auto refresh

chmaynard

20 Jun, 2015 03:00 PM

I want to install an AdBlock filter to disable auto refresh on the New York Times home page. My understanding is that NYT implements auto refresh by loading and running a Javascript file, but I don't have the details.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

1. 1 Posted by Kieran on 22 Jun, 2015 07:44 AM

Hi!

If you enable "Advanced Options" at AdBlock button -> Options -> GENERAL then a button on the AdBlock button should show up: "Show the resource list". If you use the resource list you might be able to find the relevant script that is causing this.

2. 2 Posted by chmaynard on 22 Jun, 2015 04:15 PM

Great tip, thanks. I don't see a script that refreshes the page, but I'm not a javascript programmer so I may have missed it.

3. 3 Posted by chmaynard on 22 Jun, 2015 04:45 PM

Great tip, thanks. I don't see a script that refreshes the page, but I'm not a javascript programmer so I may have missed it.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Rhana on 01 Jul, 2015 06:23 PM

Hi chmaynard,

Just following up, is this working for you?

Rhana
    AdBlock Community Manager

5. 5 Posted by chmaynard on 01 Jul, 2015 08:30 PM

Hi Rhana,

I was able to see the resource list for the NYT home page, but I could not identify a script that refreshes the page. Maybe they are using some other method?

Craig

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Rhana on 06 Jul, 2015 07:03 PM

Hi Craig,

Hm. Good question. I'll ask our team. Maybe one of them has a suggestion.

Rhana

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Rhana on 06 Jul, 2015 09:07 PM

Hi Craig,

According to our web developer:

You'd have to block the JavaScript file causing the refresh, if it's from a JavaScript file that isn't populated with other useful bits of code. It's a tough problem because to really solve the issue we'd have to manage the timers attached to the page. Basically, if nytimes.com isn't dumb there's not much we can do about it.

Rhana

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with AdBlock please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac