This is AdBlock's old support site. It is available for archival purposes only. To create a new discussion, or to visit the up-to-date knowledge base, please visit help.getadblock.com

Where'd it go?

Artie Hall

05 Aug, 2015 08:21 AM

AdBlock used to maintain a file in /Users/artie/Library/Safari/LocalStorage that was a database of my manual edits, but that file has disappeared.

Since I like to maintain a backup of my edits in case of emergency, I'd like to now where it is now stored.

Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by Artie Hall on 05 Aug, 2015 08:32 AM

This discussion should NOT have been closed! (I clicked on "Read More", and the thumbs-up icon appeared. [Bug?])

"IN THE WINDOW THAT APPEARS, GO TO: SAFARI -> LOCALSTORAGE

DELETE THE "SAFARI-EXTENSION_COM.BETAFISH.ADBLOCKFORSAFARI-(LETTERS & NUMBERS).LOCALSTORAGE" FILE(S)"

Those steps are listed in the "How do I delete the settings file for AdBlock in Safari?" discussion, but the named file no longer exists, and that's the crux of my discussion.

Where has it gone?

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Rhana on 07 Aug, 2015 12:21 AM

Hi Artie,

I'll ask our developers about this. In the meantime, can you please provide a link to the instructions you were reading?

Rhana
    AdBlock Community Manager

3. 3 Posted by Artie2 on 07 Aug, 2015 12:36 AM

Hi, Rhana,

First, I've gotten my question answered by another Extension developer with whom I happened to be corresponding when I posted my discussion. The data that AdBlock used to store in Local Storage is now stored in /Users/yourshortusername/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist in Safari 5.1.0; it's in a separate plist in later versions of Safari, but I don't know precisely which ones.

Second, as I said, the discussion from which I got those instructions was "How do I delete the settings file for AdBlock in Safari?", but I can't find it again to provide you with a link.

Thanks for your response.

Artie

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Rhana on 07 Aug, 2015 07:28 PM

Hi Artie,

Glad you were able to find an answer! I found the article in our Knowledge Base.

According to our lead developer,
    "In OS X Yosemite, running Safari 8, I found our persisted data in the file: com.apple.Safari.Extensions.plist in the directory ~/Library/Preferences
    I should point out that extensions don't pick the file name(s), locations, etc. Safari does this for us. There's a layer of abstraction between extensions and the file system provide by Safari."

I'll put updating our KB article to include this information on our to-do list. :)

Rhana
    AdBlock Community Manager

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with AdBlock please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac