This is AdBlock's old support site. It is available for archival purposes only. To create a new discussion, or to visit the up-to-date knowledge base, please visit help.getadblock.com

Browser clicking hijack opens ad in new tab

Jan

16 Aug, 2015 09:57 AM

I have three different adblock extensions in chrome, including AdBlock but still none of them block the current right click hijacking that opens a new tab with a video and sound advertisement from something called "i.30daychange" . It appears in regular intervals after a number of right clicks have been made - or that is the impression so far.

I'm almost beginning to suspect the adblock extensions for this - if they in some way are the culprits and are making money off of it.

the URL the hijack sends you to:
http://i.30daychange.co/i_enter1.html?campaign=2505&ref=30days&...

included is a screenshot of the page in the new tab that the hijacking sends you to as well

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Rhana on 16 Aug, 2015 01:02 PM

Hi Jan,

This behavior is actually caused by malware on your computer. Please see the following Knowledge Base articles for general information about AdBlock and malware:

Malwaretips.com also has a nice article on removing malware that hijacks your browser. It concerns a different type of malware, but the general information is the same.

Hope this helps!

Rhana
    AdBlock Community Manager

2. Rhana closed this discussion on 16 Aug, 2015 01:02 PM.

3. Jan re-opened this discussion on 16 Aug, 2015 02:35 PM

4. 2 Posted by Jan on 16 Aug, 2015 02:35 PM

Thanks Rhana,
    and yes you are right. It seems it was a Chrome extension, since running both of anti malwarebytes two programs against this sort of threat and Spybot search and destroy did not help. I deactivated 5-7 extensions and it disappeared, so I do not know which one it was. It looks like you have to completely delete the extensions, since only deactivating them before did not seem to help. Being eager to remove it, I did not take the time to deactivate one by one to isolate the culprit, which I kind of regret now of course :)

But I find it "horrific" that google chrome's library of extensions allow this kind of technique in extensions they approve and let onto their site, making us all believe they have made a thorough job.

Thanks again for the quick response.
    All the best from Norway.

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Rhana on 16 Aug, 2015 06:42 PM

Hi Jen,

It would have helped to know which extension was the culprit, but the important thing is that you eliminated the malware!

To Google's credit, bad extensions are removed from the Chrome Web Store as fast as they're identified. The trouble is it's exceedingly difficult to keep up with malware developers. They're fast, sneaky, and dedicated.

All the best from Pennsylvania! :)

Rhana
    AdBlock Community Manager

6. Rhana closed this discussion on 16 Aug, 2015 06:42 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with AdBlock please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac