This is AdBlock's old support site. It is available for archival purposes only. To create a new discussion, or to visit the up-to-date knowledge base, please visit help.getadblock.com

"Vector smash protection"

artie hall

21 Aug, 2015 02:23 AM

I don't know if this has anything to do with AdBlock, but updating it is the only thing I've done recently that even remotely affects Safari.

Safari 5.1.10 has only very recently begun kicking out Console messages like this:

8/20/15 8:29:10 PM [0x0-0x5a65a6].com.apple.Safari[65153] Vector smash protection is enabled.

I can't find a single relevant reference, nor has anybody with whom I'm in contact ever seen or heard of it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Rhana on 21 Aug, 2015 04:10 PM

Hi Artie,

I spoke with one of our development team about this. We're pretty certain this is not related to AdBlock. We don't think anything AdBlock does can show up in the system console. To be sure, can you please uninstall AdBlock and see if it happens anyway?

Also, just a note that Safari 5.1 is old and no longer supported by Apple.

Rhana
    AdBlock Community Manager

2. 2 Posted by Artie2 on 22 Aug, 2015 03:28 AM

Hi, Rhana,

Thanks for the quick response.

You'll probably laugh at this, but I had thought of disabling AdBlock, and the thought of running without it was so traumatic that I decided to bounce the issue off of you guys first. (You can use that for publicity if you like.)

I've now tried running with all of my extensions turned off and still found "Vector smash protection is enabled" in Console.

It's pretty weird, having a completely unknown Console message turn up out of the blue, and this late in the game, for a version of Safari that is not only no longer supported, but hasn't been for quite some time. (I'm stuck in 10.6.8 and hope to die here...in many, many, many years.)

Artie

3. 3 Posted by Artie2 on 22 Aug, 2015 03:48 AM

By the way, Rhana, unless things have changed, you need to be very careful about advising people to uninstall AdBlock.

When AdBlock stored my manually edited filters (of which I've got an extensive list) in /Users/artie/Library/Safari/LocalStorage, uninstalling it resulted in their loss, and if things still work the same way even with that info stored in a plist you're going to have some pretty angry users.

Advising people to uncheck the "Enable AdBlock" box in Safari/Preferences/Extensions/AdBlock is a far safer route to travel.

Artie

Hi, Rhana,

Thanks for the quick response.

You'll probably laugh at this, but I had thought of disabling AdBlock, and the thought of running without it was so traumatic that I decided to bounce the issue off of you guys first. (You can use that for publicity if you like.)

I've now tried running with all of my extensions turned off and still found "Vector smash protection is enabled" in Console.

It's pretty weird, having a completely unknown Console message turn up out of the blue, and this late in the game, for a version of Safari that is not only no longer supported, but hasn't been for quite some time. (I'm stuck in 10.6.8 and hope to die here...in many, many, many years.)

Artie

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Rhana on 25 Aug, 2015 03:56 PM

Hi Artie,

I'm so sorry you lost your custom filters! You're absolutely right, we need to remind folks to save any they've created before uninstalling AdBlock. I'll change our standard text right now, in fact. Thank you for pointing that out!

Disabling extensions isn't always as complete as removing them. When disabling AdBlock doesn't seem to help, completely uninstalling and reinstalling it is a last-resort option that often works. But I will warn our users about backing up their filters first! In Chrome users can sync their filters on their Dropbox account. Unfortunately, Safari doesn't allow us to offer that feature.

Since it looks like this doesn't seem to be related to AdBlock, I'm afraid there isn't much more we can do to help. Again, my apologies for losing your custom filters!

Rhana
    AdBlock Community Manager

5. 5 Posted by Artie2 on 26 Aug, 2015 08:52 AM

Hi, Rhana,

You may have misunderstood me... I lost my custom filters a while back when I uninstalled Ad Block on my own, NOT just now because of your advice to do so, so no apologies necessary. :)

I must say that I was pretty surprised that when I reinstalled AdBlock it didn't connect with the database the original installation left behind in /Users/artie/Library/Safari/LocalStorage, and I'm surprised to hear that such remains the case now that AdBlock stores custom filters in a plist. (Will it actually fail to connect with /Users/artie/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist, which is where my custom filters are now stored in Safari 5.1.10?)

Isn't there some way to get it to connect, or that simply impossible to do with an Extension as things stand?

Artie

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Brent on 26 Aug, 2015 03:52 PM

Hi Artie,

In regards to your question about Safari 5 and local storage. It does appear that Safari keeps the local storage of a deleted extension around for a short period of time, but it's been my experience that Safari cleans up the file(s) when Safari is shutdown or restart. I don't usually expect the local storage to be restored once an extension is deleted, but I have occasionally seen this happen. This is just my causal observation, I haven't done extensive testing with Safari to determine when local storage is removed when an extension is deleted.

-- Brent

7. 7 Posted by Artie2 on 27 Aug, 2015 06:17 AM

Hi, Brent,

Discussing local storage is a useless exercise now that AdBlock's database of custom filters is stored in /Users/artie/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist (in Safari 5.1.10), so I tried an experiment as regards the current state of things.

I uninstalled AdBlock and found that its custom filters disappeared from the plist immediately, so a backup of your custom filters is, indeed, a necessity.

Artie

8. Rhana closed this discussion on 31 Dec, 2015 03:22 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with AdBlock please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac