This is AdBlock's old support site. It is available for archival purposes only. To create a new discussion, or to visit the up-to-date knowledge base, please visit help.getadblock.com

Acceptable Ads shouldn't silently override my manual blocks

Y

28 Jan, 2016 02:00 AM

I just wasted a bunch of time trying to figure out why as soon as I reload a page, the ad I just blocked shows up again. "Acceptable" shouldn't mean "unblockable". Acceptable should mean not blocked by default with Acceptable mode on. I just turned off Acceptable Ads to get rid of one ad that clearly met the definition of acceptable, but regardless, after seeing it 30 times in a short period of time I got sick of it wanted it gone.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Rhana on 28 Jan, 2016 05:50 PM

Hi Y,

Yes, that's pretty frustrating. Sorry about that! Whitelist filters, which are the kind in the Acceptable Ads filter list, always override blacklist filters, the ones that block ads. So if an ad is in the Acceptable ads list, it will appear regardless of any custom blocking rules you create.

There are a couple of ways around this. The easiest way is to simply keep the Acceptable Ads list turned off, so that all ads are blocked, and whitelist sites you're OK with seeing ads on.

The second way is a bit convoluted. This works only in Chrome, by the way. You'll need to have the "I'm an advanced user; show me advanced options" feature enabled in AdBlock's options (**GENERAL** tab).

Basically, you're going to add to AdBlock's Disabled filters (**CUSTOMIZE** tab) the whitelist filter for a site you want to blacklist. (AdBlock ignores anything in that list.) Then, you'll add the blacklist filter to your custom filters.

You can use our new Resource page to find out what the whitelist filter is.

So roughly, these are the steps:

1. Visit a site you want to blacklist. Click the AdBlock button and select Show all requests.
    2. Green text indicates whitelisted resources. Search the resource list for the resources you want to block and the filter that matched them.
    3. Copy the filters to AdBlock's Disabled filters.

I hope this helps!

Rhana
    AdBlock Community Manager

2. Rhana closed this discussion on 28 Jan, 2016 05:50 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with AdBlock please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac