This is AdBlock's old support site. It is available for archival purposes only. To create a new discussion, or to visit the up-to-date knowledge base, please visit help.getadblock.com

ADBLOCK BEHAVING OFFENSIVELY

DAVID B LAWRENCE

25 Aug, 2014 03:43 PM

Dear AdBlock,

I gather from the cheesy statement that appeared on a tab in Opera that somehow AdBlock has been downloaded onto my computer - always assuming that what has been downloaded is your product and not something masquerading under its name ... now why would your motherhood and apple pie company want to place itself in the same category or rather a much worse category than those programmes which your programme is designed to guard against - not merely a pop-up but one that has without my permission downloaded and installed the programme. Now I am happy to believe that AdBlock is an excellent product but downloading it into my computer and then asking me for money is probably a criminal act in most jurisdictions - and you don't even offer me a way to remove it unless I spend time fooling around with your website - a website which for me is of unknown reputation and possibly virus infecting.

If you know that your programme is being downloaded with something else you ought to be sure of securing a positive permission - somebody else will sue you out of the principle of the thing, I merely write you an email and hope to uninstall it now that I have found the instructions - to uninstall it on principle because I object to your behaviour, which includes not having an uninstall button ready on the page that appeared after you illegally downloaded material into my computer ( which in the UK is probably a case of trespass.)

1. 1 Posted by Kieran on 25 Aug, 2014 03:57 PM

As far as we know, AdBlock does not come preinstalled with certain apps. We
    have not made any agrrements of this kind.

We have heard stories of computer repair / support people who have told us
    that they install AdBlock on people's computers, but we do not knowingly
    bundle it with other software. Are you sure you didn't click on the "Add to
    Opera" button on the Opera addons website, or at the http://getadblock.com
    website?

2. 2 Posted by palant.is.unacc... on 08 Sep, 2014 10:30 AM

without my permission downloaded

Would now be a good time to discuss the folly of using the interweb as a user with admin privileges on your system?

then asking me for money is probably a criminal act

How?

Taking the money without consent would be the crime. That is not much unlike what 3rd party web ads do: rape your privacy to profit someone not-you.

a way to remove it

How do you typically remove interweb browser extensions?

downloaded with something else

That smacks of Open Candy Malware.

sue you out of the principle

What would be their standing? What would be the claimed specific injury?

illegally downloaded material into my computer

You have conflated downloading with installing.

in the UK

In the UK interweb search: remove browser extensions

and specify which interweb browser you use: IE, opera, firefox, chromium...

You are likely to find numerous videos with hand-holding instructions. :)

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SHOUTING

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with AdBlock please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac